Lately, I noticed that IntelliJ started to pause for quite some time during it’s GC cycles, and that it was very frequent when I was editing three files (over 1.2k LOC each) split vertically.
The current version of IntelliJ runs on a bundled version of Java 1.8, who’s default garbage collector is Parallel GC. While this works for most people, it didn’t for me.
After a ton of reading up on how GC works, and the fine tuning parameters for G1, I put it to use. Here’s a copy of my idea.vmoptions file:
This file contains bidirectional Unicode text that may be interpreted or compiled differently than what appears below. To review, open the file in an editor that reveals hidden Unicode characters.
Learn more about bidirectional Unicode characters
There was an instant performance boost in the IDE – it was far more responsive than ever before. The pauses have disappeared, and it’s super snappy :)
Note: As a general rule of thumb, don’t increase the maximum memory allocated to the IDE beyond 2 gigabytes – it’s just not worth it.